The University of Texas at Austin is hiring through OnRamps. OnRamps is one of The University of Texas at Austin’s signature initiatives designed to expand access to high-quality educational opportunities across the state of Texas. The university offer distance education through a dual enrollment model for high school students to engage in authentic college experiences. OnRamps is seeking colleagues who are invested in giving quality feedback to students.
UT Austin is hiring part-time remote Writing Assessment Specialists to support OnRamps Rhetoric for the 2023-24 academic year. Writing Assessment Specialists evaluate a total of eight major assignments, four each semester, and provide substantive written feedback.
Below is a concise summary of this position’s qualifications and benefits. More information is available through the application link below. Applying early ensures smooth processing of candidate applications and increases the chances of securing the requested grading load.
UT Austin offers priority to those who apply before and up to July 15. As enrollment finalizes, the university will consider applications as they arrive and will contact candidates about next steps as work becomes available.
Click here to access the Application link
- Master’s degree or higher in Rhetoric, Composition, English, Comparative Literature, or 18 graduate-level credits in a related field.
- Qualified candidates must have previously taught a first-year rhetoric-focused research and writing course at an accredited university (example: UT Austin’s RHE 306 or 309K; a Texas 1301/1302; or equivalent).
- Background check required of successful candidates.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Compensation: Writing Assessment Specialists who successfully complete all assigned 2023-24 assessments, with an average grading load of 30 essays, generally start between $ 1998 – $2109 per year, including training and calibration. Each candidate can elect to request up to 80 students for additional compensation. All grading assignments are contingent upon student enrollment.
- Work From Home Environment: All of our essays and team meetings are hosted online. Writing Assessment Specialists can work within flexible hours from wherever they have reliable Wi-Fi.
- UT Affiliate Status: Writing Assessment Specialists have access to the UT Library databases, among other affiliate benefits.
- Professional Networking Opportunity: Writing Assessment Specialists engage in active calibration for each assessment along with mentors and a broad national network of colleagues.
- Continued Professional Opportunity: After completing one full academic year of service, Writing Assessment Specialists have access to bonus assignments for compensation and leadership development opportunities.
- OnRamps Writing Assessment Specialists must be authorized to work in the United States on a full-time or part-time basis for any employer. In most cases, an F-1 visa does not make you eligible to be an OnRamps Writing Assessment Specialist unless you are a current student at The University of Texas at Austin.
OnRamps looks forward to hearing from you and your colleagues who are interested in contributing to the OnRamps mission of increasing the number and diversity of students who engage in learning experiences aligned with the expectations of leading universities
If you have any questions, please contact Jaime Babcock, Student Experience Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org