The Department of Mass Communications invites applications for a tenure-track Instructor/Assistant Professor of Mass Communications with expertise in Public Relations for the Fall 2023 semester.
The candidate should have completed a minimum of a master’s degree in Strategic Communications, Public Relations, or related discipline at the time of hire and have demonstrated experience in the public relations field at a national level; Demonstrated leadership position and active membership in professional public relations organizations, such as the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), is preferred.
The successful candidate will serve as the advisor for our department’s PRSSA chapter and serve as the academic program coordinator for the public relations concentration. The successful candidate will be expected to teach several courses across our curriculum including classes in digital media and analytics, and public relations strategy and campaigns.
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in a communication related field, prior college level teaching experience, and the potential to develop scholarly research and/or creative work. Candidates possessing APR certification is preferred.
A Successful candidate should have the following:
• A distinguished career as a public relations practitioner, including a record of sustained excellence in the field.
• A masters degree is required; a doctorate is desirable but not required
• Ability to teach skills courses in basics of public relations, PR writing, PR management and campaigns, social media applications, and data analytics.
• Experience with putting corporate events together.
• Is courteous to and approachable by students.
• Inspires students to engage in subject matter.
• Plans for and is continually well prepared to teach.
• Experience in public speaking
Preferred: APR Certified.
Application procedure: Applicants should send a letter of application, a current curriculum vita, unofficial copies of transcripts of all graduate work, a link to a portfolio of developed work, three current letters of recommendation and the addresses, telephone numbers and emails of at least three references professional references to:
Dr. Luis C. Almeida
Interim Department Chair
Department of Mass Communications
400 Magnolia Street
Orangeburg, SC 29115
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Office telephone: (803) 535-5520