Job no: 497192
Work type: Faculty
Location: Boise, ID
Categories: Marketing and Communications, College of Arts & Sciences
The Department of Communication invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor in Communication to start in Fall 2023. We seek candidates with a rhetoric emphasis who can complement and extend the department’s teaching and research expertise while using innovative approaches to answer questions in the areas of culture, difference, and advocacy in the field of Communication. We are committed to hiring a faculty member who will help diversify strengths in our department and contribute to the development of programming organized around the idea of communicative health across multiple contexts.
Candidates must demonstrate the ability to teach existing undergraduate courses in the Department of Communication, including core courses (e.g., research methods, senior capstone), rhetorical/advanced rhetorical theory, theories of identity and difference, and research-focused courses within their area of expertise. Candidates trained to teach and conduct research in rhetorical, qualitative, critical, and/or mixed methods research are preferred.
This position supports the University’s mission of providing student-centered, quality education and is committed to the success of our students and the university. Candidates should have a strong interest in collaborative research, inclusive mentoring of students, and teaching at the undergraduate level.
Questions may be addressed to the Search Committee Chair, Dr. Manda Hicks
- Demonstrate effective teaching and apply appropriate teaching methods.
- Maintain an active research program, evidenced by relevant publications in peer-reviewed journals and the ability to translate the applications of their research for academics and practitioners.
- Participate in Department, College, and University committees and activities.
- Provide relevant professional service in the community and external to the university, such as in professional associations, boards, journals, etc.
- Develop and maintain collaborative, positive working relationships with others.
- Participate in activities promoting personal and professional growth.
- Participate and engage in honoring difference and diversity.
Scholarly, creative, or research activities
Assistant Professors must
- Demonstrate a commitment to their discipline through scholarly and creative activities that fall within Boyer’s four types of scholarship: (1) discovering knowledge, (2) integrating knowledge, (3) applying knowledge, and (4) scholarship of teaching.
- Conduct research and/or produce scholarly or creative work in accord with the norms in their discipline. Share that work through professionally recognized publication for the type of scholarship.
- Present their work through professionally recognized forms in professionally recognized venues for the type of scholarship.
Normal position responsibilities include a 3/3 teaching load while maintaining an active and productive research agenda. The first year of teaching will be a 2/3 maximum load. We also offer mentoring and other resources to enable prosperous research and teaching activities.
We are looking for colleagues with complementary research interests who will develop and maintain a vibrant research program by partnering and collaborating with faculty and students in our department and across campus, and expanding partnerships with non-academic organizations.
Requirements and Application Materials
- PhD in the field of Communication or equivalent by June 2023
- Evidence of scholarly creativity and independence
- Evidence of teaching and/ or mentoring through the use of current pedagogical techniques, and experience in culturally responsive teaching
Please be certain to upload a single pdf file that includes the following in order:
- Cover Letter that describes the candidate’s interest in the position and how their research/teaching will contribute to existing departmental strengths.
- Curriculum Vitae, which includes employment history, publications, courses taught, leadership roles and responsibilities, and professional activities including service
- Contact information for three professional references.
Letters of Recommendation Procedure: We will request letters of recommendation from the 3 references you include in your application. We will request these letters later in the candidate review process. Your references will receive requests via email at that time, not at the time of your application.
Closing Date: Our review of applications will begin November 14, 2022, and continue until the position is filled.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience. Salary will be for a 9-month, tenure-track faculty appointment.
Boise State University is committed to offering a benefits package that provides health and financial protection plans as well as resources to promote health and well-being. Our program provides flexibility so you can choose the benefits that are right for you and your family. Learn more about our benefit programs and options.
About our Department
The Department of Communication offers B.A. degrees to approximately 400 students, making it one of the largest in the College of Arts and Sciences. Our faculty demonstrate both a teaching and research focus, with a record of innovative teaching practices, publications in top-tier journals, and engagement in communication and interdisciplinary associations.
About Boise State
Boise State University, powered by creativity and innovation, stands uniquely positioned in the Northwest as a metropolitan research university of distinction.
Boise State University is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, staff, students, and academic program offerings and to strengthening sensitivity to diversity throughout the institution. Boise State University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Members of historically underrepresented groups are especially encouraged to apply. We are a welcoming campus that supports diversity and inclusion.
Learn more about faculty careers and resources at Boise State University.
The city of Boise is located along the Boise River near the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. In national polls, Boise has been repeatedly named one of the best places to live because of surrounding natural beauty, access to outdoors, and low crime rates.
Boise is known for its extensive Ridge to Rivers trail systems connecting you to hiking, biking, and running. The surrounding areas have world class skiing, white water rafting and kayaking, and exceptional fishing and hunting. Boise has a vibrant arts and culture scene with several museums, music events, a Shakespeare festival, and the Anne Frank Memorial. Boise is a family friendly city with parks, a zoo, farmers markets, and kids activities.
Advertised: Mountain Daylight Time
0 comments on “Boise State University hiring Assistant Professor of Rhetoric”Add yours →